Seniors – Info and Training
Our senior and masters club members all have different goals, each dependent on the amount of free time they have, the level they are aiming to attain and the amount of training they can put in.
We are all different but together we make a great team and can have great fun along the way.
The club meets four times per week:
- Tuesdays & Thursdays 7pm at our HQ at the Peter Driver sports field on the corner of Bourley Road, Church Crookham – behind the Tweseldown pub. Occasionally we will meet at a different location on these nights for a specific session but details are always on the website and circulated on the weekly club email
- Wednesdays we meet at the military all-weather track in Queen’s Avenue, Aldershot again at 7pm. In winter this track is floodlit so it provides a safe hazard-free area to train
- Sundays we return to the club HQ at 8.30am for variable paced distance runs mainly off-road when we can make use of the fantastic off-road running areas surrounding Fleet and Church Crookham
Autumn and Winter Training – September to March
- Focused training on building strength, leg speed and increasing fitness
- Mixed ability groups working together – run with people of a similar pace to yourself but with progression opportunities to run with the faster runners
- Group running – safer and more fun than on your own
- Set distance intervals, hill training, fartlek – difficult on your own but effective in a group
- Learn from others, pace against others, progress with others
- Track based, floodlit, measured intervals
- Group running with variable paces based on ability groups
- Regular monthly handicap event over a set distance – perfect to measure progression
- Regular monthly “out and back” event over a set course
- Optional monthly off-road “Moonlight Run”
Spring and Summer Training – April to August
- Running continues but with most of our evening runs now off-road on the main trails and paths that cross the water catchment area and the Army training area on the edge of Fleet – a beautiful and traffic free place to train right on our doorstep. We continue with our Tuesday speed/hill sessions but again make the most of the off-road areas
See the club website calendar for specific planned sessions so you know what to expect on any date.
Leaders – photo’s and a short write up of each person
- 1ALL TRACK TRAINING CANCELLED6:45 pm - 8:15 pm
Welcome to 2020 and the start of a year of opportunity to improve your running and athletic skills.
We have not booked the track for New Year’s Day., ...
- 2Seniors’ Training – Head Torch Run or Group Road Run7:00 pm - 8:00 pm
A chance to get back into training after the Christmas break: If you’re running off-road, please wear chest or head torches and we will run the summer handicap route. The alternative is to run with a road group., ...
- 4Hampshire Cross-country ChampionshipsAll of the day
Names of runners who want to take part should be submitted to Penny before the deadline of 27th December 2019., ...
- 5Seniors’ Trail Champs Race 1 – Tadworth 10 mile11:30 am - 12:30 pm
This is the first opportunity to take part in our Trail Champs Race competition. See Seniors’ Menu for details., ...
- 7Seniors’ Training – Crookham Park Loops7:00 pm - 8:00 pm
We meet at the club hut and jog to the start point on Crookham Park for 1k loops., ...
- 8SENIORS’ TRACK TRAINING6:45 pm - 8:15 pm
Regular track training., ...
- 9Seniors’ Training – 25min out & 25min Back7:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Seniors’ Training – 25min out & 25min Back along a 4-mile route. Ideal for practising pacing., ...
- 12Seniors’ Trail Champs Race 2 – East Meon 10 mile9:00 am - 11:00 am
This is the 2nd opportunity to compete in the seniors’ Trail Champs competition. All details can be found on the Seniors’ dropdown Menu., ...
- 14Seniors’ Training – Silvester Way Loops7:00 am - 8:00 pm
Interval training in Silvester Way, Zebon Copse. Please meet at the club hut and we will jog warmup to the start., ...
- 15ALL TRACK TRAINING CANCELLED6:45 pm - 8:15 pm
All track training is cancelled due to army use., ...
- 16Seniors’ Winter Handicap Race 37:00 pm - 8:00 pm
This is the 3rd race in our Winter Handicap Series. Runners will set off at a time based on their previous time or if new to the event based on their 10k time. The 5-mile road route is along well-lit streets and finishes in Pine Grove., ...
- 19Southern XC League – Chawton House11:00 am - 12:00 pm
- 21Seniors’ Training – Greenways Loops7:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Interval training along Greenways & Longdown. Please meet at the club hut and we will jog warm-up to the start point., ...
- 22Seniors’ Track Training6:45 pm - 8:15 pm
Seniors’ track training at the Aldershot 400m military track in Queen’s Avenue. Track is booked from 6:45pm to 8:15 pm; session starts at 7:00pm., ...
- 23Seniors’ Training – head torch run or road alternative7:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Head torch off-road run around the 6-mile summer handicap route, with an alternative road run option., ...
- 26Road Champs Race 1: Farnborough Half-marathon9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Race 1 in our Road Race Champs competition for seniors., ...
- 28Seniors’ Training – Efforts along Fitzroy Road7:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Please meet at the Key Elvetham Heath, near the Community Centre, De Havilland pub & Morrisons and we will jog to the start., ...
- 29ALL TRACK TRAINING CANCELLED6:45 pm - 8:15 pm
All track training is cancelled due to army use., ...
- 30Seniors’ Training – Group Runs from Peter Driver7:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Please meet at the club hut at Peter Driver. We will split into similar paced groups for a tempo-type run., ...