Seniors – Info and Training
Our senior and masters club members all have different goals, each dependent on the amount of free time they have, the level they are aiming to attain and the amount of training they can put in.
We are all different but together we make a great team and can have great fun along the way.
The club meets four times per week:
- Tuesdays & Thursdays 6:30pm at our HQ at the Peter Driver sports field on the corner of Bourley Road, Church Crookham – behind the Tweseldown pub. Occasionally we will meet at a different location on these nights for a specific session but details are always on the website and circulated on the weekly club email.
- Wednesdays we meet at the military all-weather track in Queen’s Avenue, Aldershot at 6:45pm. In winter this track is floodlit so it provides a safe hazard-free area to train.
- Sundays we return to the club HQ at 8.30am for variable paced distance runs mainly off-road when we can make use of the fantastic off-road running areas surrounding Fleet and Church Crookham.
We have now introduced a Seniors Training Spreadsheet so that members can see what sessions are being held in any particular week and who is leading. We ask members to enter their name on the spreadsheet so that leaders know in advance who to expect at their session. The link that has edit privilege is sent to members separately. The training spreadsheet on this website is read only.
Autumn and Winter Training – September to March
- Focused training on building strength, leg speed and increasing fitness
- Mixed ability groups working together – run with people of a similar pace to yourself but with progression opportunities to run with the faster runners
- Group running – safer and more fun than on your own
- Set distance intervals, hill training, fartlek – difficult on your own but effective in a group
- Learn from others, pace against others, progress with others
- Track based, floodlit, measured intervals
- Group running with variable paces based on ability groups
- Regular monthly handicap event over a set distance – perfect to measure progression
- Regular monthly “out and back” event over a set course
- Optional monthly off-road “Moonlight Run”
Spring and Summer Training – April to August
- Running continues but with most of our evening runs now off-road on the main trails and paths that cross the water catchment area and the Army training area on the edge of Fleet – a beautiful and traffic free place to train right on our doorstep. We continue with our Tuesday speed/hill sessions but again make the most of the off-road areas
See the club website Seniors Training Spreadsheet for specific planned sessions so you know what to expect on any date.
Leaders – photo’s and a short write up of each person
- 1Seniors’ Track Training6:45 pm - 8:00 pmSeniors meet at 6:45pm for a warmup. Session starts at 7:00pm. Please note that we share the track with the juniors so need to negotiate which lanes can be used. Session will be led by Tom and comprises 5* 800/400m reps. , ...
- 2Seniors’ Training – 8-Mile Run6:30 pm - 7:30 pmSession starts at 6:30 pm – Penny will lead an 8-mile longer run in preparation for the Fleet HM. , ...
- 7Seniors’ Training – Pine Grove Loops7:00 pm - 8:00 pmPlease meet at Peter Driver for prompt 7:00 pm start for a session led by Bob. This session has a choice of distance and number of reps and starts at the later time to encourage members unable to train earlier. Not also that there’s no track training on Wednesday 8th Feb. , ...
- 8ALL TRACK TRAINING CANCELLED6:45 pm - 8:15 pmThe army have priority use of the track and are holding an event on this Wednesday. , ...
- 9Seniors’ Training – Out and Back6:30 pm - 7:30 pmPlease meet at Peter Driver at 6:30 pm. Session comprises a 25 minute out and 25 minute back steady run designed to gain experience in controlling pacing. , ...
- 11Hampshire League Cross-country – Popham1:00 pm - 4:00 pmDetails to be published neared the date. , ...
- 14Seniors’Training – Ancell’s Farm6:30 pm - 7:30 pmWarmup, 5 x 5 mins, Cool Down, session led by Penny. Please meet at 6:30pm in the Tesco car park on Ancells Farm, 18 Falkners Cl, Fleet GU51 2XF. , ...
- 15ALL TRACK TRAINING CANCELLED6:45 pm - 8:15 pmThe army have priority use of the track and are holding an event on this Wednesday. , ...
- 16Seniors’ Winter Handicap Race #46:30 pm - 7:45 pmThis is the fourth of our Winter Handicap Series. The route is 5-miles and setoff time is based on previous performance or 10k time. Please meet at Peter Driver at 6:30 to register. The time clock starts at circa 6:40pm. , ...
- 21Seniors’ Training – Fitzroy Road – Note 7PM Start7:00 pm - 8:00 pmFitzroy Road efforts led by Penny. Please meet at Elvetham Heath Community Centre car park “The Key”. , ...