Seniors – Info and Training
Our senior and masters club members all have different goals, each dependent on the amount of free time they have, the level they are aiming to attain and the amount of training they can put in.
We are all different but together we make a great team and can have great fun along the way.
The club meets four times per week:
- Tuesdays & Thursdays 6:30pm at our HQ at the Peter Driver sports field on the corner of Bourley Road, Church Crookham – behind the Tweseldown pub. Occasionally we will meet at a different location on these nights for a specific session but details are always on the website and circulated on the weekly club email.
- Wednesdays we meet at the military all-weather track in Queen’s Avenue, Aldershot at 6:45pm. In winter this track is floodlit so it provides a safe hazard-free area to train.
- Sundays we return to the club HQ at 8.30am for variable paced distance runs mainly off-road when we can make use of the fantastic off-road running areas surrounding Fleet and Church Crookham.
We have now introduced a Seniors Training Spreadsheet so that members can see what sessions are being held in any particular week and who is leading. We ask members to enter their name on the spreadsheet so that leaders know in advance who to expect at their session. The link that has edit privilege is sent to members separately. The training spreadsheet on this website is read only.
Autumn and Winter Training – September to March
- Focused training on building strength, leg speed and increasing fitness
- Mixed ability groups working together – run with people of a similar pace to yourself but with progression opportunities to run with the faster runners
- Group running – safer and more fun than on your own
- Set distance intervals, hill training, fartlek – difficult on your own but effective in a group
- Learn from others, pace against others, progress with others
- Track based, floodlit, measured intervals
- Group running with variable paces based on ability groups
- Regular monthly handicap event over a set distance – perfect to measure progression
- Regular monthly “out and back” event over a set course
- Optional monthly off-road “Moonlight Run”
Spring and Summer Training – April to August
- Running continues but with most of our evening runs now off-road on the main trails and paths that cross the water catchment area and the Army training area on the edge of Fleet – a beautiful and traffic free place to train right on our doorstep. We continue with our Tuesday speed/hill sessions but again make the most of the off-road areas
See the club website Seniors Training Spreadsheet for specific planned sessions so you know what to expect on any date.
Leaders – photo’s and a short write up of each person